18 May 2013

first love

i was 10 or 11 the first time i heard digable planets. shit blew my mind. vh1 was having a best of the year countdown and 'rebirth of slick (cool like dat)' came on... i think it was the first time i fell in love with music. the jazz, the beat, the cool as eff MCs. everything about this kind of music called my name. i remember my parents buying the tape for me in chicago... they even let me play it over the stereo in the car on the way home. i was, of course, too young to understand the things the three emcees were rapping about, but it didn't matter. a year later, my dad entertained and solidified my love of jazz in hip hop and bought me guru's jazzmatazz on cd for my birthday (it was the first cd i ever owned). i remember unwrapping it and thinking how much i knew i was going to love listening to this album. around the same time, 'blowout comb' came out and i had my own money (lawn mowing money) to buy whatever music i wanted. i remember being in chicago again, seeing a record store (coconuts) from the car, asking my parents to please stop there, going straight for the rap section, and buying 'blowout comb' on cd. shit, man... i still love that album. thank you, dad. and thank you, digable planets. now i'm going to post your album on my blog like a shithead. i'm sorry. i guess i'm not sorry, because if i was, i wouldn't be posting it. but this isn't my link. i feel somewhat justified, but not really. i guess what i can feel justified about is your tour manager being a complete dick to me in chicago. i was just a dude with a digable planets tour poster, when some dickhead (their tour manager) grabs it and gives it to a pretty girl in the crowd. I WILL NEVER FORGET. THAT WAS MY POSTER, YOU ASSFUCKTURD. IF I EVER SEE YOU, I WILL RIP YOUR HEAD OFF AND THROW IT INTO THE SUN. but really, i don't remember what he looks like and i probably wouldn't say anything (because i'm not really a violent person and it's not that important). my palms and underarms would just get sweaty as eff and i would wonder why i wore a grey shirt when i know how bad it looks when sweat from my underarms bleeds through grey. always bring a cardigan when you wear grey shirts, guys.



digable planets - blowout comb

No comments: